Lingo Live - Progress dashboard

I was part of the founding team at Lingo Live where I led the full design process — from user research, prototyping, testing, to visual design. Lingo Live is a language learning platform for employees at multinational companies that need to learn a language for their jobs. When I joined the team, we just finished an accelerator program and had paying customers from companies like Twitter.

The Challenge

Our goal was to be the best in the world at connecting employees with a live instructor, anytime and anywhere. Our initial proof of concept was simply using Skype or Google Hangouts to connect students to instructors for their language lessons and we wanted explore how we could continue to accelerate growth via a digital product.

  • The primary business metric was 8 lessons per month per student, but students were only taking on average 3.6 lessons per month.

User Research

To better understand our user base, we segmented them into 4 distinct groups. I also interviewed 15 users across each of these segments to better understand their motivations for taking language lessons.

In this analysis, we also found that over 50% of our users were “Coasters,” those who take only 2-4 lessons per month.

User Research_ Engagement and Progress (Lingo Live) (4).png

To better understand why this group wasn’t taking as many lessons, I spent more time interviewing users and compiled the insights below.

User Research_ Engagement and Progress (Lingo Live) (5).png

Hypotheses

Based on our learnings, we formed hypotheses around how we could affect change and increase lesson count per month. The first hypothesis was led by our learning and student success teams, while product design and engineering focused our efforts on the second and last.

User Research_ Engagement and Progress (Lingo Live) (6).png

We identified potential tactics for the quarter that helped us focus our roadmap on various initiatives.

User Research_ Engagement and Progress (Lingo Live) (8).png

In regards to progress, language learning is hard and it takes over 11 lessons for students to feel like they are making any progress in their learning. With that knowledge, we hypothesized it was important to show progress after each lesson as well as overall progress to provide structure and motivation to those that needed it.

Ideation & Whiteboarding

  • I worked closely with our Chief Learning Officer and Customer Success team to understand how our curriculum was structured. We spent a lot of time whiteboarding and ideating how we’d track progress overtime.

Prototyping & Testing

  • I user tested designs with real users early and often — from wireframes to lo-fi and hi-fi

RESULTS

  • Increased lessons per student per month from 3.6 to 6.8